Is It Worth Fixing a Transmission?
One of the worst pieces of news a car owner can receive is that the transmission of their vehicle has failed. This vehicular issue is known to be difficult to handle and could cost you a lot of money. If you ever get a failed transmission, there are various options you can consider to either fix it, get a replacement, or sell your vehicle entirely for cash.
But first and foremost,
What Is A Transmission?
Simply put, a transmission is a vehicle’s gearbox; an important component of a vehicle that ensures the proper amount of power is transferred from the engine to the wheels. You can compare it to the gear shifter and chain system of a bicycle. Without the transmission, your vehicle wouldn’t be able to move.
TYPES OF TRANSMISSION
There are two main types of transmissions:
With a manual transmission, the driver has to select the right gear and engage or disengage the clutch. In order for the engine to be able to disengage from the transmission, the latter uses a pressure plate, flywheel, and clutch. This is why the car seems to jump when transitioning from one gear to the other.
An automatic transmission features an automatic clutch and relies on built-in processors, sensors, and actuators to operate the clutch at just the right moment, allowing the driver to gain more focus while on the wheel. Another distinction between a manual and automatic transmission is that you can notice the transmission operating when driving. Its built-in torque converter will automatically shift to a higher gear when you push down on the accelerator, and the internal change happens.
Do You Have a Car With Blown Transmission?
WE WILL BUY!
How Does A Car Transmission Work?
All gearboxes function essentially in the same manner, whether it’s a manual or automatic transmission. A big difference, though, is whether or not the clutch must be pushed by hand to disconnect the transmission and engine when changing gears.
- The gear lever functions by moving and selecting the appropriate gears to connect with one another. For manual transmissions, the driver must manually control the gear lever using the clutch control or pedal. For automatic transmissions, however, these functions are automated.
- When engaged, the gear lever or clutch moves clutch plates, also known as collar plates, into place in order for them to connect to larger gears, which are linked to the vehicle’s differential.
- Different gears may be interconnected at various moments when the gear lever moves. This changes which gear ratios turn and how much power is sent from the engine to the wheels.
Car Transmission Failure Signs
As a vehicle owner, it is important to be aware of the signs of malfunction in your car parts and systems, especially important ones like transmission failure. Below are some symptoms of bad transmission that you should take notice of:
- Unusual sounds are coming from the engine, such as clunking and whining.
- The transmission gives off the noise in neutral.
- The transmission is unresponsive; there is a delay when switching gears.
- The gears are grinding.
- When the car is in drive, there is a burning odor.
- There is a fluid leak underneath the vehicle.
Is It Better To Fix A Transmission Or Replace It?
The answer to this depends on your situation and financial capabilities, as some options tend to be expensive and could require some effort. Between repairing a transmission and replacing it, the former offers the most cost-effective approach. When a transmission needs to be rebuilt, the worn-out components are removed and renovated one at a time until the transmission is functioning properly once again. A rebuilt transmission can let you drive your automobile an additional 30,000–40,000 miles, at the very least..
What Happens When The Transmission Blows?
The transmission is an important part of the vehicle, as it is responsible for transmitting the right amount of power from the engine to the wheels. If a transmission fails, it can drastically affect the state of your vehicle, which can make it undrivable. A blown transmission means that while the engine might turn, the transmission won’t be able to transfer the rotation to the wheels, making the vehicle unable to accelerate.
Options If The Transmission Has Failed
If your transmission has failed, you are left with a few options; you can either repair it, replace the transmission altogether, or you can just sell your used vehicle for cash. The choice you make for this situation depends on the severity of the damage to your vehicle as well as your financial resources, as the first two options could be costly.
Transmission Problems Repair Cost
Transmission repairs can be costly, as it is not a simple procedure to undertake. Apart from that, you also need to consider labor costs as well as the parts and components that might need replacement. It will all boil down to the severity of the damage to the transmission. Here are some industry price ranges for transmission repairs:
- A fluid change could cost you around $80 – $250.
- A fluid leak repair could cost around $150 – $200.
- A shift solenoid replacement ranges from $150 – $200.
- A transmission replacement for an everyday car costs around $2,300 – $3,000. A used/salvaged transmission could be bought for around $800 – $1500.
- For a luxury car transmission replacement, the cost could go up to $10,000.
- Basic repair jobs could cost around $250.
Is It Worth Replacing A Transmission?
Replacing a transmission, while being a much more expensive option compared to fixing one, also poses some advantages to the vehicle owner, mostly in terms of quality, as the transmission’s damaged components will be replaced with parts in a factory setting. A new transmission can extend the vehicle’s range by at least 50,000 miles.
Pros and Cons Of Replacing Your Car’s Transmission
There are certain advantages and disadvantages to replacing your vehicle’s transmission, so you have to be wise when deciding which option to take. Here are some examples of the pros and cons of transmission replacement:
- It’s a one-stop solution. When you replace the transmission, all of the parts and components are also replaced with ones that meet factory standards. This makes the transmission last longer than when it is fixed.
- While transmission replacement may be more expensive than repairs, it may save you more money in the long run, especially if it continues to be faulty after repair.
- You have to shell out an expensive amount of money in one go, compared to a transmission repair. This can be a disadvantage if you have a limited budget when your transmission fails.
- It could take some time for the replacement procedure to be completed. In some cases, a replacement could take several weeks.
Given all the information above, it would seem like the best option if the transmission fails is to take it to a scrap car company and sell it for a reasonable price. With this option, not only do you get a top-dollar offer for your used vehicle, but you can also get a free towing service, depending on the junkyard company you contact, or your location.
If you’re living in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and considering selling your used vehicle for a fair valuation and excellent service, consider Towing and Scrap Car Removal as your partner. We offer the best deals on buying used cars and offer free towing services around the GTA. If you’re interested, you can get in touch with us for an online quotation, and we’ll take the next steps from there. We hope to hear from you soon!
Will you be able to move your vehicle if the engine blows?
If symptoms are left unchecked and the transmission fails, the power would not be able to transfer from the engine to the wheels, making it next to impossible to accelerate the car.
Is the check engine light an indicator of a failing transmission?
Yes! There are various signs of a failing transmission that can be similar to engine issues, so it’s best to use the check engine light as an early warning indicator for transmission problems.
Which type of transmission is best?
Each type of transmission offers its own advantages, so it’s best to do your research first and, if you can, try each one to find out which suits your preference. It’s also best to be able to handle all types of transmissions to gain more driving experience.
Can a transmission issue fix itself over time?
No, a transmission issue must be checked and fixed by a professional ASAP before further damage is done to the vehicle.
What is the best option to take if a transmission fails?
Depending on the severity of the damage, the most cost-efficient and convenient choice will be to send the used vehicle to a scrap car company, where you can get a top-dollar valuation for it as well as a free towing service option.